1/10/2005

Med change day...

Well I saw the doctor this morning (actually my nurse practitioner) and we talked about the switch from Oxy to Kadian. We talked about quality of life and that I was really impressed with the Oxy and how I have been able to do more then I had been. He is sure that I will maintain that quality with Kadian, and it is only once a day rather then the 2 for the Oxy and no more breakthrough pain meds. The topper though was when they commented on the weight loss since the last visit and agreed that I have obviously benefited from the Oxy. I told them that I will take the Kadian for at least thirty days before I decide, but the nurse practitioner agreed that if I felt I was not getting the same results we would revisit the Oxy questions and possibly switch back.

We also talked about the elavil and how I do not feel the 25mg was helping me the way we had talked about, so we doubled that to the 50mg. One thing I forgot to ask was if I should take the Kadian in the morning or in the evening. If it is going to make me tired then nighttime seems the smart move to me, but I have been known to be wrong once or twice.

The other issue I forgot to ask about was the T.E.N.S. machine. We were so wrapped around the meds that when the visit was coming to an end I just spaced.

Comparison study of 12hr time release morphine versus
24r time release. I was happy to stumble across this study as I did have some questions after talking with the pharmacist. When I was discussing the difference of Kadian and MS Contin he left me more confused then before I asked the question. Almost like asking someone how to change the oil in your car and they tell you how to build the car. Interesting? Sure, but not really necessary.

2 comments:

Saija said...

i have never heard of Kadian - i hope it works better for you . . . will be checking in on that!

leo and i were at the doctors today too, for his 3 month meds - we get everything in 3 month batches (this time 19 different things), it cuts down on the dispensing fees and leo hates to go out (well it is rough on him) . . . he had all his bloodwork results back and on paper he looks healthy (we were laughing with his doctor about that), his bld pressure was even 120/70, chol. good, sugar levels good . . . etc etc ... go figure! :o(

opforsoldier said...

Kadian is Morphine Sulphate in 24 hour time release, basically longer lasting MS Contin. I need to get my bloodwork done again since it is the new year. I am usually good to go but it never hurts to check.