1/04/2005

Well it started...

Severe Weather Bulletin:

Issued at: 2:50 PM CST 1/4/05, expires at: 7:00 PM CST 1/4/05
Ice storm warning remains in effect until 6 pm cst Wednesday.The ****** **** area is in store for a prolonged period of freezing rain late this afternoon through this evening. Between 3 pm and 7 pm rain rates between a tenth and a quarter of an inch an hour are likely. Temperatures will remain near 30 degrees through 6 pm, so by late this evening a half to three-quarters of an inch of ice may form. Ice accumulations will be most significant on trees, power lines, and other elevated surfaces. Well traveled roads and streets that have been treated will remain wet through early this evening. The ground will likely remain sufficiently warm to prevent ice formation through early evening, but roads may become icy tonight as temperatures fall into the 20s. Be cautious when driving on bridges and overpasses. They will likely become ice covered more quickly.




Well this is the outlook for the next 24 hours or so and as of 5 minutes ago we already have almost 100 schools closed for tomorrow. By the morning that will be closer to 350 plus all the activities.

My wife picked up the oldest from school and then hit the grocery store which had been raided by everyone else in the city. By the time she made it home we already had about 1/4" of ice on the streets and she has informed me I am not allowed to go outside.

I have some salt for the walks and porch but until the ice stops it is a futile effort with the amount they are predicting. It makes me wish I had bought the LP generator last spring when I was talking about it. It was one of the large ones that is installed outside and when they power goes out it kicks in 30 seconds later. I still want one but it was on the list for the coming spring when we really need it. We lose power almost daily during the spring due to the bad weather. Anyway, I want LP as I can then install an LP tank and have it ready to go versus natural gas which is nice but if the line is down (which happens) your screwed anyway.

Looks like I need to hit Home Depot in the next few weeks and talk to the contract guy about it.

If I do not post for the next few days it is because we have lost power. During the ice storm we had this week 3 years ago it took weeks for some people to get it back. I do have loss of use insurance on the house so if we have to hit the hotels because of this, I am covered.

No comments: