1/08/2005

Would you like some chicken?

I ran down to the local British shop to buy some tea (Earl Grey of course) but before I did I set out some chicken to make dinner. It seems the new dog is a huge fan of raw chicken and of course anything that does not belong to him. My wife and youngest were home and in the living room and I was only gone for about 30 minutes. When I got back the whole plate of chicken was gone and licked clean. Great, so now I have to figure out something else for dinner but more importantly I need to remind my son to let the dog out every 45 minutes or so for the next day. I am glad I own a carpet steam cleaner, I am betting it is going to be needed.

I am a big fan of rescues and understand that with them comes a risk of problems. This particular dog though spent 6 months in rehab and we were told he was a great dog. For the most part this is true, provided you leave NOTHING on the ground. He has destroyed several DVD's, a few CD's, my sons wooden blocks and now the Chicken (which was not on the ground BTW).

I will call the shelter on Monday to discuss this but I am excellent with training dogs (all ours ave been rescues) and this one just does not seem to be responding so far to me. I don't want to get rid of him but at the same time I don't want him destroying everything. I am tempted to buy something from the pet store to spray on a few items that we can then leave out for him. Something that will help us train him to stick to his toys since he has several of them.

Arrrggggh!

No comments: