1/25/2005

You better listen to me...

Parents Television Council - Because Our Children Are Watching

Now keeping in mind I am a conservative and a parent of an 11 & 2 Year old. I am all for keeping our public broadcast stations free of strong sexual content, bad language and gratuitous violence during what I think would be normal broadcast hours for kids, 5am-9pm during the week and 6am-10pm on weekends/holidays. During those hours in between they should feel free to broadcast whatever they like as children should be in bed during those hours. Pay stations from cable or satellite should they should broadcast whatever they like whenever they feel like it. After all you chose to put them in your home and they require more then just an antennae to receive the signals, you should be prepared to monitor your children and their viewing habits.

However, just because I feel that public stations should adhere to some standards does not mean I excuse parents from doing their jobs as a parent. Allowing your kid to watch something like Desperate Housewives and then complaining about the content is moronic and in the end no one but you can be held accountable for what is actually watched in your home. Putting restrictions on what the stations can air is only a small part of the effort.

This PTC reminds me of the
Parents Music Resource Center started by Tipper Gore. They are out to tell you how you should rise your kids and what they can and cannot listen to and IMHO they seem to have taken it too far and there seems to be no end in sight. Once they got their foot in the door you're screwed and they will not stop until they have complete oversight on all forms of media.

Groups like the
Parents Television Council remind me of the evangelical's running around spreading their own brand of morality. Thanks but I have my own ideas on how I should live my life and raise my children. If you really want to see someone who has strayed from the flock and off in to the deep end check out Fred Phelps.


2 comments:

Saija said...

i was watching American Idol tonight, and thought of you having to watch it because your son enjoys it! Leo watched it with me, but dozed through half of it!!!

opforsoldier said...

My wife was off from work last night so this time I was outvoted on what to watch. Instead I gabbed the computer and some headphones and surfed the net while I listened to some music.