1/23/2005

Ever wonder?

Have you ever wondered where the nerves in your spinal cord run to? Did you know that each level of the spine has a nerve root that controls a different part of your body and based on your pain location the doctors can pinpoint the section of the spine they need to see in an MRI or CT Scan? This is a great picture of the spine and what part of the body each section controls. You can see that the lumbar spine controls the legs and the cauda equina. In my case my spondylolisthesis was at the L5/S1 which explains the leg and foot numbness and pain. I have also developed degenerative disc disease and arachnoiditis through the lumbar spine, which are probably the bigger factors in the constant pain and numbness I experience. If the scar tissue from the arachnoiditis continues to move through the spine it will then effect the areas that it grows. Since I also had epidurals at the C5/6 I am constantly watching for any changes that occur in the areas the are controlled by the cervical spine.

One thing I have experienced is shortness of breath that is not from my lungs. It is almost like if you were having an anxiety attack but I can feel the diaphragm kind of stutter and then kick in. I have not told the doctor about it but my wife thoughtI should mention it to them. My concern is that 1- it is nothing and 2- they are going to cram me in to the MRI again, and as I have said before that is not cool t all.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too live in constant pain. I for one glean a lot from your blog. Thank you for all the information and just knowing how others deal helps.
Shalagh Knight
www.knightwriter.blogdrive.com

opforsoldier said...

Thanks. I agree that it sucks to be in pain all the time, I am thankful that I have found a medium to help bring some of us together and to be able to share what we have learned.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.