12/07/2004

Back to my old self...

I really am feeling good with the change of the meds since the last doctors visit. I am back doing things that I wanted to do but could not do. Baking and cooking have always been things I love but since the surgery standing for that long has been painful and if you bake you know that it is tough to leave the oven/kitchen for longer then a few minutes.

Well today I hit the grocery store with a craving for pumpkin pie. I bought the ingredients to make it and like usual I substitute low-fat or fat-free items as needed. A great resource for awesome food without sacrificing all the flavor we love check out Cooking Light Magazine. I got home and made the crust myself and then mixed all the ingredients and baked them.

While the pie's were in the oven I got dinner ready. I made roasted chicken with rosemary and garlic seasoning and added some carrots and potatoes to it. I love roasted carrots and I really love chicken. In fact chicken and turkey make up the bulk of the meat we eat followed by buffalo and then beef and pork. I am also very picky about the cuts that we use. I think the only recipe I have that is even close to being bad for you, which I got from Foodtv.com, is Chinese spareribs with teriyaki glaze. They are wonderful but because of the high fat content in the pork ribs I only make them 2 or 3 times a year.

Tomorrow I have Turkey mignons and will make my risotto that my wife loves. I make it using a broth made with dried porcini mushrooms that I soak overnight in some water. The mushrooms make a very hearty broth which adds some wonderful flavor to the risotto. I then add about 1/4 cup of grated asiago, parmesan and pecorino romano (that's 1/4 total divided about equal between the cheeses) which gives it some really great flavor and texture. My wife always ask me to make it for her. It is a really simple recipe and I "made" it up one day while trying to make something other then just risotto. I actually make up most of my recipes as I go along which prompted my wife to start calling me the "McGyver" of the kitchen.

Well the pumpkin pie is ready so I am going to grab a piece!!!

2 comments:

Mister Roboto said...

Glad to hear the new meds are helping you live a more normal and fulfilling life. Makes you realize how much people take for granted, doesn't it?

opforsoldier said...

It is like viewing the world through different eyes and I have learned a lot from this experience.