10/06/2004

What the hell is that noise

So for the last few days we have been hearing a scratching sound from behind the TV stand not constant and sometimes with a good few hours inbetween. A search behind the stand with a flashlight did not reveal anything so I figured whatever it was might be in the wall and beyond my control right now.

So I am sitting here this afternoon and trying to enjoy a quick nap. As soon as I get comfortable the damned noise starts only this time it is loud enough to make me rethink the wall thing. I pulled the bottom draw out of the cabinet and slid the whole thing forward only to reveal an old mouse trap. One of those with the hinged doors (humane trap) and it had to have been under there for some time as we bought those when we bought the house 3 years ago. I grabbed a lacrosse stick so I could scoot the trap forward and I'll be damned if there wasn't a little white mouse stuck in the thing. Poor thing must have been in there for a week as evidenced by the droppings. I took him out back by the shed and let him out and he made a beeline for the old wood pile to find some food I am sure. LOL.

Funny thing is we bought those traps like a month after we moved in after we saw a small mouse run through the kitchen. This is an old house (100+ years) and I expected a few of them but until this week that was the last one I saw. My guess would be the cold weather at night drove him inside and he smelled the trap. The trap used to have peanut butter smeared in it but just a thin coat for the smell. Guess I will have to clean out the trap and put it back under there to see what happens.

No comments: