2/24/2005

Good news!

I like it when I get the mail and there is something in there to lift your spirits.

Many of you know that the Social Security system in the U.S. can be a painful thing for someone who is applying for benefits, let alone someone who is disabled and doing this on their own.

I started this trek not to long ago and have done the whole thing so far on my own. I have filled out forms and tracked down information on my medical records and all the other little mox nix requirements they have. It is tedious and at times I wonder if they do not do this on purpose to weed out some of the people in the beginning.

I have done all they have asked and in a timely fashion and they have been more then pleasant, surprisingly. The letter I got today said that my case has been sent to a case manager who will evaluate all my information as well as my medical records and if need be make an appointment for me to see one of their doctors to verify my claims. That is all fine and dandy and I am more then willing to see their doctors to finish this process.

I would guess that it will take her a week or so to gather the rest of the medical records and then maybe a few more to get to my case and make a determination. I am hopeful that I will have an answer from them by the end of April and that it will be an approval.

Since I am younger then most I did not pay a lifetime in to the pool so if I were to collect any monetary benefits they would be at a reduced rate. I would however be able to collect a small amount for each of my sons until they are 18. What I am looking for is the medical side of the benefits as I would qualify for Medicare. With my wife's income I am certain that I would have to pay a premium, again I am willing to do that, but that also means that I will always have medical coverage. No more worrying about rate raises through the employer or being pre-existing and not having any coverage for 2 years. If I do collect any money for the boys I thought I might have that deposited in to a mutual fund in their names so they can have some money for college. Which is also another benefit for me, vocational rehab/training. While it is difficult for me to do any of my former professions (military or brewer) and I am not trained for anything else I am hoping to get in to one of their programs, preferably something on the HR side of the house. While getting a job due to my condition and meds is a stretch I figure with some new skills and the SSA behind me I should be able to get something down the road.

Anyway, I feel that the letter was good news. It brings us another step closer to getting a determination from the SSA.

No comments: