2/15/2005

Double, double toil and trouble, back is burning...

The numbness and burning in the left foot is somewhat intense today. The whole small of my back and then down the backside of the thigh to the knee where it turns to the front of the leg and straight down in to my foot is on fire.

I am tired of this pain and the fact that we cannot seem to find something that will help control it better. I tried to call my insurance company to see what I can do about getting to a neurosurgeon but the wait time was "longer then normal" and hanging on to the handset for 45 minutes or so was not my idea of a fun time. I hung up and will try them again later on.

I am not sure what a neuro can do for me if anything, especially since there is no ay I am letting them cut on me again. I guess I cling to the hope that there is some medication out there. I know there is no cure but there has to be something better to help alleviate the pain.

Here is some information on the numbness and burning. It is intersting that they do not mention arachnoiditis as I followed a link about arachnoiditis to the page where I found this information.


Symptom: Paresthesias
Paresthesias: Tingling, prickling, numbness or burning sensations
Introduction: Abnormal nerve sensations such as pins-and-needles, tingling, burning, prickling or similar feelings are all known as "paresthesias". They usually result from nerve damage due to pressure (such as a pinched nerve), entrapment, or diseases. Continued nerve damage can lead to numbness.

Paresthesias can affect various parts of the body. Hands, fingers, and feet are common sites but all are possibilities. Afflictions of specific nerves or spinal nerves can also cause paresthesias in particular skin areas of the body.

Parethesias with simple causes such as pressing on a nerve are usually reversible. Certain other nerve conditions such as peripheral neuropathy (often from diabetes), lupus complications, Guillain-Barre syndrome, or multiple sclerosis are also possible causes of parethesias. Because of the variety of possible causes, any abnormal sensation needs prompt professional medical investigation.

No comments: