6/22/2005

Quick doctors visit this afternoon. The usual visit for a follow up and refills on the meds that need them but this time I remembered to ask about something for the constipation. One of the side effects of pain meds is constipation and while normally you can combat it by staying hydrated and taking something like senekot but then there are days where even that does not work.

My doc told me to grab some over the counter magnesium citrate for those days. I found it at Wal-Mart for about $1 a bottle where 1 bottle is a days dose and according to the label it has a "refreshing lemony flavor!" I had to chuckle though when I asked my doctor about how effective this might be and he told me they call it a 2 step dose. Basically after you take it you have about 2 steps to go before it might start working. Eek! Of course this is NOT something you should be taking every day. You should also know that abuse of laxatives can lead to serious health problems, including heart issues.

After the doctor visit we ran to the mall to get some pizza. This is the ONLY place in 125 sq miles that makes a real pie in my opinion. Being from Long Island I am very picky about pizza and Pizza Hut, Dominos and Papa Johns are not what I would call a real pie. The crust is crisp, chewy and thin, the way a pie should be and the cheese and sauce are perfectly blended to make you miss home. It is also well worth the money as a 16" pie with 4 drinks is $13 and enough to feed all of us.

We also made a quick trip to my folks house as we have not seen them in a few weeks. My son loves playing in their yard as he has room to run free and they have a ton of bushes and shrubs to play hide and seek with. They also have a huge patio and sidewalk chalk for the kids to play with and of course that is always a huge hit. Mom invited us down for Friday to come and go swimming and to spend the night if we wanted too but my wife has to work early on Saturday, so we will have to pass on the over nighter. To bad though because my dad always makes a kick ass breakfast.

No comments: