6/08/2005

I did it!!!

I had to go renew my drivers license this morning as it expires tomorrow. Hard to believe that it has been 6 years since the last renewal but I had made myself a promise a few months ago that I would be back to the same weight I was when I last renewed it, which means 6' and 190lbs. Since I had put on some weight from being down and not being able to be as active as I would like it was an uphill fight but this morning I checked myself out and voila, 191lbs. That means since I was at the heaviest, which was close to 230 and just about lst Christmas, I have lost close to 40lbs. Funny thing is that I never really "looked" fat since I have very broad shoulders but I noticed over the years that every time I had to buy pants I was going up a size, and that started to bug me. So now I think I want to go a bit more and get back to where I was when I was on active duty and that means 175lbs, we will see what happens.

Renewing the license was a bit more expensive at $22 then I remember it being and of course the lady who is running the local DMV seemed to be your "stereotypical" state employee. Grossly overweight and oh so happy to see me coming in the door. I was handed a list of questions to answer yes or no to before we began, just simple ones asking if you have ever had your license suspended or if it is right now in any other state, if you are on illegal drugs, organ donor blah blah blah... from there she handed me a test of 20 questions and then a book with all the answers and told me to have a seat. Not sure why they give you a written test if they are going to give you the answers but I went along with the game. After finishing that I was given a quick eye exam, forked over the $22 and had my picture taken and was handed a slip of paper that serves as my license for the next 2-3 weeks while I wait for the real one in the mail. All told it was maybe 15 minutes from the time I was in the door until I was out.

I did get my youngest to the barber this morning or should I say "to the place where they cut hair" since a real barbershop does not seem to exist in my town and no respected barber would charge $12 to cut a 2 year olds hair. The last barber we had closed shop a few years ago after 50+ years in business and he was charging $6 at the time he closed up and he knew how to cut men's/boys hair. He could also get you in and out of the chair in about 5 minutes. The best thing though was the hot lather and a straight razor across the neck and by the ears when he was done with the cut. He would also do shaves on Saturday and Sunday, although they were $10, where he would do the hot towel soak that would put you to sleep. I miss going there to get my hair cut.

No comments: