4/03/2005

What to do on a Sunday?

While I was lying down taking a nap a wasp somehow made it in to the blanket with me and stung me on the arm. It woke me out of a dead sleep and within a minute it felt like someone was standing on my chest and by the time I walked to the hospital (about 6 houses) my throat was closing and I was coughing and wheezing for air. I never knew I was allergic to wasps but then this is the first time I have ever been bitten by one. The doctor told me that I need to get an Epipen as well as set up a sting kit at home with benadryl & zantac and take it as soon as I suspect that I have been bitten. Just what I need, more crappy meds to keep around the house and in my backpack.

They took me directly in at the ER and stuck me with an IV, Benadryl & Prednisone and then gave me some Zantac to take as well. Within a few minutes of the drugs whoever it was that had been standing on my chest took a break and the my throat also started to clear up and I could breathe again.

It seems like in the last 2 years I have spent more time in the ER then I did in the almost 33 years before and the trips now seem like they are for "piddly" reasons. Oddly those "piddly" reasons are more life threatening then would seem.

Anyway, I am home now and feeling much better. I am going to settle in and watch the Biker Build Off on the Discovery Channel, probably my favorite channel on the idiot box.

2 comments:

Saija said...

Well for heavens sake! you have had your share this past while! good thing the hospital is so close ... we have a 25 minute drive - highway ...

opforsoldier said...

When I got there the nurse asked me how I came in and when I told her I walked she looked like she was going to have a fit and yell at me. Then she looked at my insurance card and realized just how short of a walk it was.

When we bought this house the hospital being close was a selling point, but I figured that with a pre-teen and a baby on the way we would be using it for them. My oldest has been once to get some stitches and that was 2.5 years ago.