5/22/2005

Back is a bit stiff...

The numbness in my toes and leg has returned this week and my lower back has been having spasms all week. I know this is just the normal cycle of having arachnoiditis, some days are good and some days are not but I have been learning to adjust with the pain.

I see the doctor later this week and I really do need to find out about having my meds adjusted to meet the pain. It has been that way for some time but the last time I got to the doctors office I saw the nurse practitioner instead and I was not comfortable asking for an increase in the dose with her. My thoughts were that since this was the first time seeing her I did not want her to think I was trying to "score" some meds. I know, I have a legitimate need and prescription for the meds but that is always on your mind when you are talking with medical professionals about the meds I am on.

Getting up in the morning is a bit tougher then I was hoping it would be as the summer rolls in on us. I am not sure if it is the osteoarthritis or the arachnoiditis. The only way to describe it is being very stiff, almost as if your muscles have atrophied while you were sleeping and you cannot straighten your body out when you stand up. Eventually you can but it does take some time, which for me can be 2-3 hours normally and on bad days it can mean dinner time. I have been looking into using a heating pad but a few of the books I am reading contradict. I just added that to the list of things I need to speak with the doctor about. Who knows, maybe he will say a soak in the hot tub will be good. Then I can get my insurance company to help me get one!!!

No comments: