9/15/2005

More work on the school projects...

Very cool today, down to 60F for most of the day. It was nice to have the windows opened up for the whole day and let the house air out. We also got a lot of rain but it has been so long since we could have the windows open all day that we left them alone. Surprisingly we did not get any water in the house.

I also spent the day trying to tidy up my sons school website. Apparently someone is supposed to be working on the High School's portion of it but after looking it up not only does it appear they have not done much it looks like they have taken 4 months to get that far. I don't have a problem doing both of them but they need to figure out what they want.

I volunteered to do the site and I want to get it done but so far they have been VERY slow in providing me the material for content. We have 5 campuses for our school in town but I do not have any pictures of the schools or the staff, I do not have the names for staff other then what I got from the new calendar, no logos, and so on. In fact the only material I have is the actual calendar. Luckily the printing company put their info on the back cover and after a quick call to them I had the calendar and handbook in digital format. Since no one has said how they would like it on the website I tagged it up to embed the .pdf right into the pages for both the calendar and the student handbook. I also have a program that converts pdf to HTML which I did for those who may not have Adobe or for those who do not care to download it but still need the online calendar.

I really want the website to be fully functional, more then just a place to get information about the school. I want the parents and students to be able to get the required documents for the school year, registration forms, permission slips and so on. I know that my son has a bad habit of losing things and if I had a place I could go to download it, well that would be MUCH easier.

The school also puts out a weekly newsletter which like other papers rarely makes it home. Putting it online would make it so much nicer for the parents. They could list by grade what projects are coming up and when they are due and so on. While we have several campuses each one only has 2-3 grades on it and each class only has about 45-55 students in it. That means listing assignments online would not be difficult. It could really be a great resource for the parents and with the kind of money we are spending to send our kids to this school I frankly expect something like this website can be.

Anyway, there is just so much we can do with the site. All they need to do is give me the documents they want/need on it and it is done.

My back has been ok today. The cool weather has made me a bit stiff but having been working on the school project for most of the day I have been in my chair so I have at least been comfortable. I see the doctor in the morning so I plan on talking to him about adding a bit to the breakthrough meds. Not so much upping the individual dose but giving me enough for those 20-30 times a month (out of 60-90 total times) I need a bit extra. Sometimes 10mg just is not cutting it but upping to the next dose (20mg) would be to much. We will see what he says.

No comments: