12/12/2005

Flare ups are no fun...

I had a MAJOR flare up this morning that has sidelined me and probably will for a few days. I mean this was shear pain and spread across my entire back from my waist all the way through my shoulder blades and even though I took a maximum dose off all my pain meds I was still hurting.

The only way I can really describe a flare up for those who do no know is imagine all your muscles going into a tight spasm at once, and then not releasing. The problem starts because the muscles are doing more work then they should, making up for skeletal deficiencies caused by injuries or diseases. For me that happens because of the degenerative disc disease, the herniated discs, spondylolisis and spondylolisthesis. The muscles basically become tired and start to spasm, sometimes it is not so bad and a quick dose of a muscle relaxer helps get you through the bout other times like today they won't even touch it.

I am a bit ticked with the doctors office about this as well. Thankfully I see them on Wednesday and will discuss this with the doctor as I did not get to talk with him today. What happened is I called and left a message about what was going on and from there they usually have the nurse call you back to talk a bit about your symptoms before they decide what they want you to do.

Well the nurse called and told me that they would 1-call in a prescription for a muscle relaxer and then 2-they wanted me to come in today or tomorrow instead of waiting until Wednesday. They then put me on hold and never came back to the phone. I had to call back a few times and never got to speak to anyone, they just kept putting me through to the voicemail and no one returned my call.

Well if I am supposed to come in to see the doctor early wouldn't it be nice for someone to let me know what time they would like me to be there??? As well they called in a prescription for a muscle relaxer that I explained to the nurse does not work for me, skelaxin. I tried to explain that to her but that is when she asked me to hold while she checked on it and then never came back to the line. Frustrating indeed because the whole time I have been in pain and unable to do anything about it other then try to get through to a live person when I called.

Even more frustrating is that today was my wife's day off. I could have been down there if they had the time to squeeze me in but now if they want me to come in tomorrow I have no way of making it down there before my regular appointment. I will try to call them in the morning and see if they will do something because this stuff they called in for me is not doing the trick. Thankfully flare ups like this do not happen often.

C'est la vie.

I did however get to spend the entire day lying in bed. Oh boy! I am glad though that I have the adjustable bed, it made the pain a bit more tolerable being able to adjust my legs and head into positions that took a lot of the stress off my back. After that I just kept my pain meds close by and took the maximum doses as soon as it was time for them and then just dozed off for an hour or so each time. Now that it is bed time though I fear that I will be up until the wee hours, unable to get a real nights rest and perhaps adding to the stress which means the muscles will not release anytime soon and I will be in the same boat tomorrow.

Other then that I just have not been in much of a mood to be on the computer for the last few days. One of those things that happens I guess. Most of the time I can't get away from the thing, it is constantly on so much that my youngest is always asking me, "Daddy are you going to check your email?" Of course that gave me an idea today. I am going to set up an email account for him and just send him short stories that I write or find and let him learn how to use the computer a bit more as well perhaps help his reading a bit more. If he is excited about checking his email to see what he as received he would want to read it as well. I don't know, just an idea I had. He is a super smart kid, his vocabulary grows everyday and the way he uses it is just amazing. I love to hear him talking, especially with his brother. They are like peas in a pod and Colm will just babble on when Edward is around him.

Well it is time to take some sleepind meds and try to get a good nights sleep. Perhaps tomorrow when I am a bit more coherent I will write a bit more about the boys.

No comments: