12/21/2005

FINALLY!

So after countless months of waiting and at least 2 false starts I finally have completed the paperwork to enroll in the pain management drug trials through my pain management doctor. Not sure what took them so long but when I went to my regular appointment this morning I saw the nurse in charge of the patients for the program and asked what was going on.

Now the last time I spoke with her about this she promised my I would be the first person they contacted, and then she took my information to do so. However when I spoke with her this morning I made it in by the skin of my teeth. Apparently they had 1 opening left and I am it. Of course I did mention that she and the doctor had both promised to contact me MUCH sooner!

The intake was fairly painless, including the drawing of blood. I have no problem with needles but you never know how the person using them might be and I have had a few who forget the vein they are drawing from is only so big. They end up going in, out and then into flesh which is quite painful. I also had to give a urine sample, which is the first time in my life, which includes 9 years in the military, I have had to do so and be on drugs to pass it. It was a strange feeling.

If all is going well with the blood and urine workup then they will call me and we will go from there. The study lasts a year and will provide me with the meds for breakthrough pain as well as some cash for each visit.

The one thing that I did get a bit bent about is that for those who have been enrolled in the program for a bit were allowed to receive some of their money in advance to help defray Christmas shopping. Had I been called on time I could have been paid as well and as you all know we could really have used that money for Christmas. Arrrrghhh....

I also get a PDA to bring home to help me keep track of the meds, doses, break through pain and all the other pieces of the study that I need to keep track of for the doctors. The big thing for me is the free pain meds, while it is not all my meds it is one that costs me the maximum co-pay.

I will let everyone know how the study goes!

No comments: