1/01/2006

Violating the rules!

One of the things I got for Christmas that I have been really enjoying is some teas from my sister and brother in law. While we had all agreed to not exchange gifts among ourselves and too just buy for the kids, I am glad my sister decided to buy them anyway and I have to say that I am glad she did.

Not because I am greedy and want people to buy things for me, in fact if she spent more then $10-15 on mine I would be surprised. She bought me 2 tins of tea, both of them from The Republic of Tea and surprisingly very good.

What took me by surprise was that while they are tea, they are not the traditional tea that I would drink. I am not into the tea's with herbs and spices, or so I thought and I certainly would not have bought one on my own. I prefer tea like my Oolong or Scottish Breakfast and an occasional Earl Grey which is as close as I had ever come to tea infused with herbs and spices.

The first one my sister bought me is their Red Chai which knocked me off my feet. I have never had a tea like this before and it quickly became my favorite tea. The combination of spices (they are listed under "Tasting Notes" on the Republic of Tea website) are phenomenal and the balance is amazing. You can pick out hints of each one without it overwhelming the flavor profile.

The other one is their Desert Sage which is quite mellow but a bit more fragrant then you would expect. Having been stationed at Fort Irwin for 6 years the profile, both flavor and aroma, brings back a million memories but thankfully the makers have left out the creosote bushes that abound the high deserts of the U.S.

Both the teas also have a really relaxing effect which after doing some reading is from the Rooibois that they contain.

I would never have ventured off and bought these on my own so I am glad that my sister bought them for me. Apparently what happened is my mom told my sister about all the tea I have been drinking after having to cut WAY back on the coffee and I am glad she did. I have had the teas for about a week and I am already half through the 50 bags that came in the Chai container. Of course now when we go the mall I am going to have to switch from my normal cup of tea to their Chai to see if it is even close. If you have the chance I would really suggest the Red Chai from Republic of Tea.

No comments: