1/01/2006

The start of the New Year...

A carefree evening last night. I spent it sitting in my recliner with Colm climbing all over me, he is feeling better apparently as am I. Since my wife had to work we just curled up in the chair and watched some movies.

I have been taking part in a new drug study, or perhaps I should say a study of a new way to deliver an old medication. Since I am not too sure about disclosure during the trial I won't say what the medication is other then it is for my pain and it is strong. The medication works like a charm so far and I have no complaints (rare!) other then I have to carry a Palm Pilot thing with me to record when I take the meds, the dose and how it affects my pain levels. Carrying the thing is not so bad really it is that it BEEPS at you at certain intervals once you have taken the medication and then you have to answer those questions. It does this every 15 minutes or so for 2 hours and of course if you have 2-3 episodes a day then you will be spending 4-6 hours, possibly 8, listening to this hunk of junk beeping at you. It's not even a "pleasant" beep, if there is such a thing, it is like the worst alarm clock you can imagine and then some. However, it is a small price to pay to find a drug study that I can participate in as well a study where you are taking proven medications and not some experimental one. I can't imagine how some of those people participate in study after study of experimental medications. Ewww....

The back has been ok for the past few days, perhaps all those endorphins from having such a wonderful Christmas are still at work. While the numbness from my waist down now seems to be a permanent fixture we are to the point where it has been like that for long enough that I really do not even notice it anymore. The feet, especially the left foot, are the worst though. While they are part of the numbness they also tingle like they are asleep all the time. When I walk it causes some "shooting pain" to go through my leg and lower back. Walking with the cane helps alleviate some of the problem as I can put most of my weight on the cane rather then my leg/foot.

The "reflex" reactions have also returned in the past few weeks. Not sure exactly what to call them but it is mostly confined to my legs and while just sitting/lying there they will suddenly jerk like someone tapped me with the reflex mallet. More annoying then painful, although there are times when the sudden movement will cause some discomfort.

I look forward to the day where they find some way to control the pain or cure it. I would have to say the worst thing about being in pain all the time is not the pain itself but not being able to do the things you used to do. There is also the being "cooped up" part and having to depend on others to get around town. Right now that it is perhaps the worst for me and it does get to you, not having another adult around to have a conversation. It can be quite frustrating to go for an entire week and only spend a few hours having someone else to talk to or even help out around the house.

Anyway, Americas Funniest Video is on and I need some laughs right now.

No comments: