1/14/2006

Transition to Word Press?

I am thinking of switching this blog from blogger to Word Press. It is something I have thought about for some time but my former host did not have the capability to do so (I had MS SQL database and not the MySQL that Word Press uses) but with my new host that has been changed. I like the features that Word Press offers as well as all the Plug-Ins that are available as compared to blogger which offers none.

Another reason I had not switched previously was that I am not or was not as familiar with PHP, the language WP is written in, as I would like to be so making my own templates was not going to be as simple as it would be with Blogger and I was also not sure that I would be able to import all the posts from this current blog into the new one. If this was only a few weeks or months worth of posting then I would not be so hesitant but right now I am approaching the 900 posts mark and that is far too many to just "leave behind". However Word Press has a tool that allows you to import posts from other blogging tools so it makes it that much more tempting. The one thing that makes me think twice however is that I would lose all my comments from previous posts.

What makes Word Press so tempting is that the database backend really makes searches much more accurate as well as being able to create and then categorize each post which in turn makes finding information much easier then previously. My current blog, while searchable, is not all that accurate. I myself have had trouble finding what I am looking for and I am the one who wrote it.

So if sometime today or tomorrow this blog is down please check back as that means I found a template that I like and am uploading and working on getting Word Press installed. I suspect that it should take me no more then an hour to install and get it arranged the way I would like and then perhaps another hour to import those files to the new set up.

We will see what happens!

No comments: